Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Along the Thames with London Bridge & Tower

I slept very well last night! We all woke up around 2, though, since our biological clocks were so off. We went to breakfast where I enjoyed granola cereal, gloucester sharp cheese, bell O cheese, peach yogurt, and 2 croissants. I've decided that I like black current jam. Yum! The bathroom is very unique. In the shower, no matter where you stand, water shoots into your eyes. So, we all have to keep our eyes closed constantly. :) The sinks here are unique, too. Apparently you mix the two (hot and cold) by plugging the drain and then stick your hands in the soapy warm water.

We started the day by going on the Tube to the London Tower. The yeomen in their little red suits were in the perfect setting with castles and towers alike. We went on a fascinating tour and then walked into the Bloody Tower, Crown Jewel storage, and armory. I really liked the emerald + diamond sword and the crown worn for state affairs. The ancient weaponry and hall of kings were also impressive. I got many gifts and souvenirs between 2 shops. I am mostly English after all! We then ate lunch in the Tower Cafe'. I had a brie turkey or chicken pesto baguette as well as a mango peach drink. I've noticed that many drinks, even ones from a same American company, have less sugar and perhaps food does not contain high fructose corn syrup. Whatever the reason, everything seems fresh and tasty! Anyway, we sat outdoors and enjoyed the warm weather. We had a great view of London Bridge from there. All of
the restaurants charge more for eating in!

We spent the afternoon walking along the Thames. It was a strange mixture of unique modern buildings and gorgeous old architecture. There were fun shops including Marks & Spencer which seems to be around alot. We also found a self-cleaning bathroom that cost 20p (pence) to use. Kim and I went for it. In that same shopping area, there were many pretty fountains and sculptures! Along an old cobblestone alley, we passed a prison museum, wharf, and the infamous Globe Theatre. I bought a 99 flake from one of the ice cream trucks. The side of the vehicle was painted with red, white, blue, and gold stars with Disney characters. Hmm... The ice cream was a mixed taste of whipped topping and gelato to me. Fudge poured down the narrow top and a chocolate candy stick (a Flake Cadbury candy bar) stuck out of the side. Yum! As we kept walking, we passed through a park area with entertainment. One guy sang with a guitar, another rolled a glass ball all over himself, and many were fully dressed in 1 color. They all acted like statues or entertained passerbys.

As the London Eye came into view, we found a souvenir shop selling cheap Burberry knock-offs. I wore mine immediately and got one for my mom. I also found a little ceramic Big Ben statue. Finally, after viewing the Millenium Bridge, we could see and hear Big Ben and the Parliament houses. City Hall was an awesome ovular, slanted glass building. Next, we went to Wesminster Abbey. It had many famous Brits buried and honored there. The ornate designs were amazing and I loved the ridiculously tall ceiling! They did seem to glamourize some pretty ungodly people there just because they were well known... As we made our way back to the hostel, I finally found a Barclay's to get more cash. We stopped at Burger King, which was also very different from back home. I got a BLT chicken baguette with fries and a sprite. Even the fast food tastes healthy!

Back at the hostel, I got a 15 minute internet card, postcards, stamps, London tin, and keychain. I read Mom and Dad's e-mail and wrote back. Then, I bought a ton of candy bars from the vending machine to take home. Some I've seen in Canada before. Others, never. I even got free chips since the machine had them worth 0.00. They are roast chicken flavor... interesting. What a full day!

Devotions by Mrs. Frisk: We saw amazing architecture today. We also came in contact with a lot of death, but it was good to see the impact that many left. We were very confused to see the lack of discernment in who is let into the Abbey. It was all about money and prestige. We also saw a bold post-modern statement in the tomb of Elizabeth and Mary. We must always think heavenly thoughts as Colossians 2 says.

litter = trash
way out = exit
clamped = towed (car)
pasty = pastry
advice slip = receipt

Purchases for gifts & me: black currant jam, London keychain, 2 guard teddy bears, Paddington Bear tin, King & Queen chocolates, 4 pencils, crown silver spoon, Spencer crest bookmark, 6 candy bars, 2 scarfs, Big Ben statuette, London Tin, ice cream, postcards

"If I had enough money and I could live here and there wasn't a bar... I would sit here and think." (Angela at the Tower of London)

Labels: , , , ,

NatNannyNad at 9:10 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment