Monday, April 02, 2007

Bunyan, Hathaway, Shakespeare

After a loud and unrestful night, I quickly finished getting ready and greatly enjoyed a soft croissant along with my typical chocomilk. All of us were fairly tired, so we napped on the way to Bedford, Olney, and Elstow. The first church was that of John Bunyan. The windows honoring him were very pretty. They depicted the war between good and evil and the journey of Christian from Pilgrim's Progress. The jolly gentleman leading us around had many stories to tell. We closed by attempting to sing Bunyan's hymn, but none of us knew the tune! It was hard not to laugh and at least it made me forget how cold it was! :) I loved looking at the stone architecture.

Next, we travelled to Moot Hall, the site of a town fair (which inspired Vanity Fair). We learned that while in prison, Bunyan made shoe laces to support his family. The kind, older woman shakily made it up the stairs to tell us more about Bunyan. They had old furniture and many different translations of Pilgrim's. The first floor had a fascinating display on making lace. Looks hard! Next, we drove to another church with St. Peter & St. Paul in its name. Queen Elizabeth was honored there as well as John Newton and Cowper. Their stained glass depicted the boat in a storm (Newton's conversion), slaves, a calm boat in the ocean, and a preaching Newton. At his grave, we decided to remember to sing Amazing Grace at our devotion/metting time later on.

Leaving famous preachers, authors, and hymnwriters, we headed for Stratford to see a famous playwrite. Anne Hathaway's cottage was first after we ate our sack lunches. The house and gardens were adorable. It was very interesting to hear about their daily life as well-off farmers. I loved the oven and dough trough and the very low ceilings. I still don't understand why she, a 26-year-old, married an 18-year-old. Hmm... We were able to go through the gift and garden shop there. Many people found nice gifts. As we rode through Stratford-Upon-Avon, we came to Shakespeare's birthplace and browsed through the museum. I didn't know his father was a "tinkerer" and a glover among many other things. It's amazing how little we know about such a prolific writer! They talked alot about his family and the first tour guide about the area, so that is very telling of the missing facts.

We were all excited to shop along the street. Mr. Lugg even bought us ice cream. I got raspberry ripple- Yum! We found great souvenirs, cashmere, kilts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, candy, jewelry, and wool. I only have 63 pounds left now...

The Stratford hostel was very nice. I had pasta, potatoes, and salad for dinner. All girls but Angela and Mrs. Frisk were in the same room. Kim, Es, and I had a great time talking alone! I love our close conversations! The meeting room was very comfy and we had our devotions there. In the room, our trio ate candy and Kim had a craving for sparkling water, and my sheets wer enot present, so we went downstairs twice! The guy who got sheets for me had his fly down... We had much to laugh about that night. At least our door would finally lock so no one would bother our fun!

Me to Kim: "I'm not sure what that would accomplish." (my response to Kim's offer of shouting, "I love Levi!" into the guys room)
Mr. Lugg: "WHEW!" (his reaction to a curious bathroom smell left by a certain someone who is not me)

Labels: , , , ,

NatNannyNad at 11:03 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment