Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rouen, Notre Dame, and Bon Bons

We were able to sleep in a bit this morning which was wonderful! As we were getting breakfast, a woman thought I was French. I severely disappointed her. Once again, I wish I knew every language. I had fruit, applesauce-type stuff, jam & butter croissant, and orange juice. We waited 1 hr for the Luggs who had accidentally slept in.

Notre Dame cathedral was once again very impressive. The vocalizing of the choir was so beautiful. There was a monument to Joan of Arc and the heart of King Richard. The difference between the English churches and the French seems to be minimal. The French have side rooms to pray to certain saints and plainer chairs. Much of the cathedral was destroyed and raided during the World Wars.

Next, we waved goodbye to the beautiful stained-glass windows and the men collecting Euro donations to find food and chocolate. I found a cute bon bon shop and bought a big bag of various shaped milk & white chocolate w/hazelnut cream bon bons. Then, we found another set of bakeries in the street. I got a mozzarella, ham, and butter baguette. To use up my 3 euros, I got 3 pasteries (raspberry tart & pear bar). They were both delicious, perfect-looking, and had a wonderful glaze top. I also got a postcard and more candy for Katie. I might put together a bag of candy and stuff for Becs, Sarah, and Emma, so I don't have to buy more than I already have. We are now off to the Calais to Dover ferry. Now that my camera is charged, it's picture time! Goodbye France!

We made it to the vintage hostel and had a great night with a walk to a cheap super market and had hot drinks during devotions. Nearly every hostel has had this great vending machine. My favorite is the choco milk (hot chocolate), but I am also trying
to like tea.

femme = woman
somme = man
bon = good

Purchases: kinder bars, postcards, pasteries, souvenir coin

Angela: "Mmm..." (in response to Australian men)
Mr Lugg: "This is happy." (describing French baguette sandwiches)

Labels: , , , ,

NatNannyNad at 10:36 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment